[gdal-dev] GDAL C# bindings and TIFF read projection trouble

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 1 14:04:35 EDT 2008

Kerry Halligan wrote:
> Tamas and Frank,
>
> Thank you both for your replies.  I tried Tamas' suggestion and found the
> same problem.  I suspect that my problem is that it is not finding the
> correct CSV files as Frank suggested.  Because I am using the prebuilt
> binaries from FWTools, I have been copying the DLL files (e.g., gdal_csharp)
> into my c# application directories (debug/release) but linking to support
> files by simply including the appropriate directories (in my case:
> C:\Program Files\FWTools1.3.9\bin\;C:\Program Files\FWTools1.3.9) in the
> PATH environment variable.  I am guessing that this works fine for libraries
> but does not help it locate the CSV files, is that correct?

Kerry,

That is correct.

> What is the
> right way to tell a C# application where/how to find these files?  My
> apologies if this is a super basic question or has been answered repeated on
> this list - I am obviously new to this...

You could define them in the system environment (using the GDAL_DATA
and perhaps the GEOTIFF_CSV environment variables).  It should also
be possible to call the GDALSetConfigOption() function (I'm not sure
what the C# binding is called) to set these values.  This should be
one of the first things you do with GDAL - before the first GDALOpen()
at least.

In C/C++:

   CPLSetConfigOption( "GDAL_DATA", "C:\\gdal\\data" );

The GDAL plugin loader also automatically searches for plugins in
a directory relative to the .exe.  This same sort of .exe relative
searching might make sense for GDAL_DATA, at least on win32 where it
is easy to find the .exe path.  I'm not sure if this sort of thing
works smoothly in .net applications or not.