[gdal-dev] Re: [mapserver-dev] Design/Re-Design consideration

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Apr 17 13:20:01 EDT 2008

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> I can build from source and often do on my own systems because I want
> more recent software for testing or to work with, but deployment across
> a bunch of production servers really needs to be done with binary
> packages. Ideally I do not want to have to learn 4-6 different package
> build environments and tools sets. ;)
>
> I hope some of the package builders are on this list and are listening.

Have you heard of FGS?   http://maptools.org/fgs/

The current official release is awfully out of date, but we've started
putting some more time on it recently and a 1.0 release should be
available soon with up to date components. We have also been using it a
lot internally to deploy on client sites and it works great once you get
used to it.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette