[gdal-dev] MapServer's image quality stinks serving up these NOAA NRCs

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Sun Apr 20 19:23:38 EDT 2008

I asked the GDAL list about this some weeks back, but we only explored a
few ideas and then forgot about it for a few days.

URL   http://ms2.geowake.com/
These were KAP files downloaded from NOAA's Raster Nautical Charts
(NRCs), converted to TIFF with gdalwarp.

The image quality there stiiiinks! A second map (no longer available)
made of the raw images sliced into PNGs and not run via MapServer, looks
very nice. You can make out text in 1 zoom, the high-level maps are less
grainy, the quality once you zoom in is better...

Any thoughts on why it'd be so ugly? The images almost look as if
they've been downsized, don't they?

Factors which we've tried and seem to have eliminated:

* The KAPs themselves aren't damaged, and GDAL isn't creating crummy
TIFFs. I can gdalwarp them to TIFF or PNG, and back and forth, and the
output image looks great -- if I download it and view it on my PC.

* Reprojection: If I request a WMS image in a browser, using plain
latlong (the KAPs are georef'd in latlong) the image quality doesn't
improve. Also, if I project the KAP to EPSG:54004 and request there, it
makes no difference. That seems to eliminate reprojection as a likely cause.

* Output image format. Requesting PNG, JPEG, or GIF from MapServer WMS
makes no difference. I can share the IMAGEFORMAT blocks if requested.

Items still not entirely eliminated:

* Resampling: If I add PROCESSING "RESAMPLE=BILINEAR" it makes a small
difference in the quality, but not a lot. Same goes for bicubic as well:
a visible difference, but not significant. The other two didn't make any
difference at all.

* Color depth: gdalwarp on the KAPs generates 8-bit palleted TIFFs. That
may not be the best for quality.

Any thoughts?

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth, BS, A+
System Administrator

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA