[gdal-dev] how to INSERT INTO USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA with OGR

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Wed Apr 23 17:45:37 EDT 2008

I am working on a program that uses GDAL / OGR to copy data from an ESRI
/ SDE database table stored on ORACLE into an SDO_GEOMETRY supported
table.  The program will also load CSV and shapefiles into SDO_GEOMETRY
supported tables.  It looks like I need to add a table to the
USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA before I can register the SDO_GEOMETRY enabled
table with SDE to make it usable in ArcMap.

The SQL command I need to execute starts with "INSERT INTO
USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA".  It looks like ogrDataSource ExecuteSql only
supports "CREATE INDEX", "DROP INDEX" and select functions and blocks
any INSERT or UPDATE calls.

Interestingly OGROCIDataSource::DeleteLayer sends a "DELETE FROM
USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA" but I down't see anyplace that it calls the
insert.

The data appears to be copied from the SDE table to the OCI table but
ArcCatalog crashes trying to register the table.

Is there any way to get other SQL functions to pass through ExecuteSql
to support this insertion?

Is there a way to reach directly into the OCI data source driver
ExecuteSql?

Bruce