[gdal-dev] Guidance sought on using gdal-translate

Christopher Hunt huntc at internode.on.net
Fri Aug 15 08:41:48 EDT 2008

Hi again Frank et. al,

I've made some progress. The aerial image provider now tells me that
it is projected as OSGB 1936 which I believe is EPSG:27700. Thus if I
use a command like:

gdal_translate -a_srs EPSG:27700 -a_ullr ....

then I should be able to create my GeoTIFF.

Unfortunately the image provider hasn't provided the top left/bottom
right coords so I'm going to Google Earth to approximate them (yes,
ugly I know). I'm hopeful that the actual top left/bottom right will
ultimately be provided to me, but meanwhile I want to ensure that the
a_ullr parameters I provide will be in metres i.e. eastings and
northings from the OSGB 1936 origin. Is this correct?

Thanks again for your help. I'm hoping that my documented journey into
gdal will benefit others... :-)

Cheers,
-C