[gdal-dev] RE: progressive rendering

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:03:05 EDT 2008

Norman,

It seems like adding a GDALProgressFunc like parameter to RasterIO
would be a solution but I'm not totally sure about the negaive effects
of this change since these functions are frequently used.

Most of the drivers are doing band based rasterIO so you should also
deal with Band.RasterIO in addition. The default implementation of
GDALDataset::IRasterIO is calling the band based rasterIO functions of
the drivers. In such cases how the progress func. of the band based
raserIO would be bound to the progress func of the outer dataset?

I would also be curious to know how the underlying intermediary data
should be stored and would vary between the subsequent progress
reports. For example would the raster X and Y size be different or
would it be handed as a temporary buffers and datasets or bands (like
overviews) for example?

Best regards,

Tamas