[gdal-dev] netcdf driver

gaffigan at sfos.uaf.edu gaffigan at sfos.uaf.edu
Thu Aug 21 20:40:53 EDT 2008

Thanks for requesting input from the masses.  I have two suggestions which
are based on patches I apply to the NETCDF and HDF4 drivers every time I
build GDAL.

I suggest providing a consistent way to georeference grids across the
DODS, NETCDF, HDF4, and HDF5 drivers.  We patch the NETCDF and HDF4
drivers to recognize georeferencing global attributes, "spatial_ref" and
"GeoTransform".  This allows for georeferencing whether accessing data
through these local file drivers or the DODS driver.

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1639 (frmts/DODS, done)
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1637 (frmts/NETCDF, pending)
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2539 (frmts/HDF4, just submitted)

Also, I think there should be a way to specify the values of higher-order
dimensions (time, level, etc.) in the NETCDF connection string, similar to
what the DODS driver allows (e.g.
"http://penguin.sfos.uaf.edu/opendap/forecasts/WRF/APWS4km/AEFF/latest.nc?TMP_GPML[24][0][y][x]").
 The existing ticket #1808 includes this and many other enhancements to
the NETCDF driver.  It would be great to see these enhancements in a
future GDAL release.  Alternatively, the patch in ticket #2540, though
redundant to that above, is a simpler alternative for selecting
individual bands which we have used extensively.

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1808
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2540 (just submitted)

Steve Gaffigan
Data Analyst