[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.6.0 Release Candidate 2

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Dec 1 20:14:05 EST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>>> I am not in favor of apply the change for 2661 in the 1.6 branch.
>>> I'm not
>>> opposed to it going into trunk now that 1.6 is settling.
>>>
>> Rats.  So, 1.6.1?
>> At least I can apply it to my own binary release, to keep 1.5 and
>> 1.6 plugins separate.
>
> William,
>
> I am suggesting this would (if done) be a 1.7 change.  Generally
> speaking
> I've found setting GDAL_DRIVER_PATH sufficient for my multiple-build
> situations so to me the issue does not seem pressing.

I suppose.  Though this is the first major version change with the
driver versioning, so it's a good time to start separating the plugins
by version.  Maybe it could be expanded to other platforms?  Makes
sense - /usr/local/lib/gdalplugins/[version].  I'd be OK with waiting
then.

I'm thinking of your average Mac user - the less fiddling with shell
options the better.

Also, applications using GDAL (GRASS, Qgis, Mapserver, ...) may not
consider this.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy