[gdal-dev] Supporting ECW as a plugin. (Windows)

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 17:01:15 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Even Rouault
<even.rouault at mines-paris.org>wrote:

> Just a pointer : http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2320
>
> The GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW function is only available in GDAL 1.5.3 or
> later,
> so when using the plugin in http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.5/,
> it's
> normal that you don't find the GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW entry point.

Ok. Thank you for the info. I didn't know that. I have simply quickly
checked that set of DLL to see if that entry was present somewhere.

> And, as a reminder, you shouldn't mix plugins between GDAL 1.5.X and GDAL
> 1.6.0. You should always recompile a plugin version that lies in the GDAL
> tree with which you want to use it.

Sure. I have made my experiments only with version 1.5.3.

Regards,
Daniele

> Le Tuesday 09 December 2008 19:16:34 William Kyngesburye, vous avez écrit :
> > On Dec 9, 2008, at 11:37 AM, Daniele Romagnoli wrote:
> > > When running gdalinfo I get this error:
> > >  ERROR 1: Can't find requested entry point: GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW
> > >
> > > Indeed, putting the generated DLL in the "depends/dependency walker"
> > > tool, I have only noticed the presence of the following two functions:
> > > - GDALRegister_ECW
> > > - GDALRegister_JP2ECW
> > >
> > > whilst the GDALDriverManager:autoLoadDrivers function does:
> > > 1) looks for a DLL in the specified GDAL_DRIVER_PATH --->
> > > gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.DLL
> > > 2) tries to call GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW function (missing).
> > >
> > > The weird thing is that "ecwdataset.cpp" contains that function but
> > > the generated DLL doesn't contain it.
> > > I have also noticed that the ECW plugin available here
> > > (http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.5/ ) doesn't contain that
> > > registration function.
> > >
> > > Does anyone already successfully used the ECW as a separated plugin
> > > on windows?
> > > Am I doing something wrong?
> > > Any tips/suggestion would be really appreciated.
> >
> > Strange coincidence, or it points to some GDAL bug: I was messing
> > around with ECW on OSX as a plugin this weekend.  When I compiled the
> > plugin for GDAL 1.6, it loaded.  When I compiled the plugin for GDAL
> > 1.5, I got the equivalent error:
> >
> > ERROR 1: dlsym(0x10160bd50, _GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW): symbol not found
> > ERROR 1: dlsym(0x10160bd50, _GDALRegisterMe): symbol not found
> >
> > Simply renaming the plugin either gdal_ECW or gdal_JP2ECW works to
> > load the driver for the named format.
> >
> > Having one as gdal_ECW, then symlinking that to gdal_JP2ECW works to
> > load both.  I don't know what the equivalent to symlink is on Windows,
> > but duplicating the binary should also work.
> >
> > -----
> > William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
> > http://www.kyngchaos.com/
> >
> > Theory of the Universe
> >
> > There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
> > what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
> > disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
> > inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
> > already happened.
> >
> > -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Eng. Daniele Romagnoli
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Carignoni 51