[gdal-dev] Supporting ECW as a plugin. (Windows)

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:56:37 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com>wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2008, at 11:37 AM, Daniele Romagnoli wrote:
>
>  When running gdalinfo I get this error:
>>  ERROR 1: Can't find requested entry point: GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW
>>
>> Indeed, putting the generated DLL in the "depends/dependency walker" tool,
>> I have only noticed the presence of the following two functions:
>> - GDALRegister_ECW
>> - GDALRegister_JP2ECW
>>
>> whilst the GDALDriverManager:autoLoadDrivers function does:
>> 1) looks for a DLL in the specified GDAL_DRIVER_PATH --->
>> gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.DLL
>> 2) tries to call GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW function (missing).
>>
>> The weird thing is that "ecwdataset.cpp" contains that function but the
>> generated DLL doesn't contain it.
>> I have also noticed that the ECW plugin available here (
>> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.5/) doesn't contain that
>> registration function.
>>
>> Does anyone already successfully used the ECW as a separated plugin on
>> windows?
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>> Any tips/suggestion would be really appreciated.
>>

> Strange coincidence, or it points to some GDAL bug: I was messing around
> with ECW on OSX as a plugin this weekend.  When I compiled the plugin for
> GDAL 1.6, it loaded.  When I compiled the plugin for GDAL 1.5, I got the
> equivalent error:
>
> ERROR 1: dlsym(0x10160bd50, _GDALRegister_ECW_JP2ECW): symbol not found
> ERROR 1: dlsym(0x10160bd50, _GDALRegisterMe): symbol not found
>
> Simply renaming the plugin either gdal_ECW or gdal_JP2ECW works to load the
> driver for the named format.

This also worked for me before sending the email. I would just like to know
if someone have noticed this before.

Having one as gdal_ECW, then symlinking that to gdal_JP2ECW works to load
> both.  I don't know what the equivalent to symlink is on Windows, but
> duplicating the binary should also work.

Regards,
Daniele

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> Theory of the Universe
>
> There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what
> the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be
> replaced by something even more bizarrely inexplicable.  There is another
> theory which states that this has already happened.
>
> -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro

Eng. Daniele Romagnoli
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via Carignoni 51