[gdal-dev] Zonal statistics with GDAL/StarSpan

Greg Ederer greg at ergonosis.com
Thu Dec 18 13:14:45 EST 2008

Hello all,

I'm a GDAL newbie.  I have a shape file containing subnational
boundaries for Africa.  I have a raster containing rainfall for Africa.
I need to pull out the spatial average of rainfall for each of the
subnational units.

I think that I might be able to pull this off using StarSpan.  But, the
docs on the StarSpan wiki do not line up with the current version of the
program (the changelog mentions that certain command line switches have
been eliminated, and others added; but it doesn't say what the new
switches do, or how to use them).  I am digging through the StarSpan
sources to try to figure out how to use it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might get the needed data
using GDAL (with, or without StarSpan)?

Thanks!

Greg