[gdal-dev] Compile GDAL With WMS Support (Win32)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Dec 18 16:20:17 EST 2008

Joel Odom wrote:
> I'm trying to use GDAL to pull down WMS images.  I installed curl and
> built with it.  (I can see that libcurl.dll is being loaded.)  When I
> pass in my XML service descriptor file to GDALOpen, I get, "ERROR 4:
> `C:\Documents and Settings\jo44\Desktop\ogr_data\wms.xml' not
> recognised as a supported file format."  I ran "gdalinfo --formats"
> and found that WMS is *not* listed among the supported formats, so I
> assume that I have left something out of my build.  Does anyone have
> any hints as to where to go from here?  Thanks!

Joel,

I don't see any obvious problem in building on windows with WMS support
if you enable curl.  I did discover that the frmts/makefile.vc depends
on CURL_DIR being defined in the nmake.opt file even though it is otherwise
just used to define CURL_INCLUDE and CURL_LIB.  For this reason it turned
out none of the curl based raster formats was actually getting built into
OSGeo4W (fixed in the OSGeo4W pkg-gdal60 now).