[gdal-dev] 1-bit TIFF Images

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Dec 19 15:26:14 EST 2008

Matt,

The TIFF driver also supports writing 1-bit TIFF images. See NBITS in the
Creation Options section.

For example: gdal_translate source.tif output_1bit.tif -co NBITS=1

When reading a 1-bit TIFF image, GDAL will expand each bit as a byte.
When writting a 1-bit TIFF image, GDAL will write 1 as the bit value if the
pixel value is non-zero, or 0 as the bit value if the pixel value is zero.