[gdal-dev] Win32 Default Build Options

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 4 19:46:53 EST 2008

Lucena, Ivan wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I tested the GDAL build process on VC8 (VS2005) and all went well, but
> with no "/GR", if that was what you expected.
>
> Example:
>
>     cl /nologo /MD /EHsc /Ox /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
> /D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DE PRECATE /DNDEBUG -I..\..\port -I..\..\ogr
> -I..\..\gcore  -I..\..\alg /c bmpdataset.cpp
>
> I will check the other issues as they come along my way.

Ivan,

The problem with the GSG driver does not manifest at built time (except
as nasty warnings).  It only comes up at runtime.  So either check the
warnings carefull for stuff in the gdal/frmts/gsg directory or actually
try running "gdalinfo -mm " against the autotest/gdrivers/gsg_binary.grd
file.

> I have a suggestion, I believe that most of us usually place all the
> FOSS projects in the same root folder, so it should be interesting to
> have a variable for that on nmake.opt, like:
>
> DEV_HOME = C:\FOSS\
>
> So, in all those place with "C:/warmerda" we should have $(DEV_HOME)
> instead:
>
> C:\FOSS\gdal>grep warmerda nmake.opt
> File nmake.opt:
> # $Id: nmake.opt 13667 2008-02-02 06:41:24Z warmerdam $
> GDAL_HOME = "C:\warmerda\bld"
> #TIFF_INC =     -Ic:/warmerda/libtiff/libtiff

Well, these are intended to be updated appropriately for the
local context when they are uncommented - and frankly everyone
uses a different base directory name.  So I'm not really
enthusiastic about an additional layer of macros and assumptions.