[Gdal-dev] HDF5 COSMO SKYMED driver

andyNEXT andrea.pistoni at next.it
Tue Feb 5 04:09:03 EST 2008

Hi All,

I've to kind of problems with HDF5.
First of all I've to create a GTiff file from an HDF5 COSMO.

COSMO delivers two kinds of HDF5 data:

1. Complex Dataset that is a [MxNx2] matrix. In this case the problem is
that the gdal moethod Open() reads this Dataset not such as 2 Datasets of
dimensions [MxN], but such as M datasets of dimensions [Nx2]. My intention
is to create 2 Geotiff file of dimensions [MxN].

2. Normal Dataset [MxN]. In this case the GEOTIFF is created correctly but
the image is NOT north-up because COSMO Satellite stores the image in the
file starting from the first pixel (its own TopLeft) that it seen from its
flight point of view. Therefore we'll have four cases of Dataset [Right
Ascending, left ascending, Right Descending, Left Descending] characterized
by two parameters LOOK SIDE and ORBITAL DIRECTION that are inside the HDF5.
In other words I have to read the raster depending on the value of these
parameters pointing case by case to the proper point to get the final
North-Up Image. But I've seen that GDAL cannot allow this kind of manage of
the DATASET because che GDAL.OPEN() method points always at the same point
of the raster.

Does somebody know a method of gdal library to set custom Dataset band
selection before the Open() or start-point/line to be read?

Does a GDAL driver exist for HDF5 data that allows to set the start point to
be read of the raster dataset?

I'm working in Visual Studio 2005 in C#.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my long mail.
Regards,

Andrea Pistoni