[gdal-dev] Re: Thread Synchronization in 1.5.0?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 8 16:04:34 EST 2008

Martin Chapman wrote:
> Frank,
>

> I see a lot of thread synchronization code in 1.5.0 but not everywhere.
> Does this mean that some of GDAL is currently thread safe and other
> parts are not, or is the whole library considered safe at this point?
> Is there any public documentation on this new behavior?

Martin,

The response in the FAQ:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQMiscellaneous

is still essentially accurate.  We can safely read via multiple threads
from some drivers.  Writing is not thread safe.  Many drivers have not
been reviewed and are at users-own-risk.

But I think things have improved since 1.3.0 in that some thread
related bugs have been fixed and there are more safe drivers.