[gdal-dev] Re: Geocode Raw Tiff

WolfgangZ wollez at gmx.net
Fri Feb 8 18:55:04 EST 2008

Chris Howell schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a raw tiff file that was generated out of a PDF map, what I want
> to do is provide some geo-coding to this tiff file to turn it into a
> geotiff file. I figure I can use geotifcp.exe with the appropriate world
> file, having set the parameters I want it to be geolocated with in the
> world file. However I was wondering if any of the other tools in FWTools
> would be an appropriate mix. I looked up just about all the gdal
> specific tools before sending this message and was still left with the
> idea that geotifcp is my best bet. Therefore if there is a better tool
> could you please provide me either an example of how to use it or a link
> to the documentation on the web of how to use it.
>
> Cheers
> Chris Howell
> Software Engineer
> the PYXIS innovation - /Common Ground for Digital Earth/
> w: www.pyxisinnovation.com
> p: 613-389-6619

Hi Chris,
when I understand your problem correctly and you have already your world
file than you simply can use gdal_translate. Here you need to specify
-a_srs (for example -a_srs EPSG:4326 for WGS84 lat/long).

See help page for gdal_translate:
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_translate.html

Regards
Wolfgang