[gdal-dev] GDAL and NUTM17 NAD83 datasets.

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 04:41:52 EST 2008

Hi list,
During my tests, I noticed that when using my build of gdal (1.4.4 on
windows xp) I can't get a Coordinate System for some specific Datasets.
As an instance I used gdalinfo from fwtools 2.0.4 on a ECW file and I
obtained this Coordinate System (partial copy and paste).

PROJCS["NUTM17",
    GEOGCS["NAD83",
        DATUM["North_American_Datum_1983",
            SPHEROID["GRS 1980",6378137,298.257222101,
                AUTHORITY["EPSG","7019"]],
            TOWGS84[0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","6269"]],
        PRIMEM["Greenwich",0,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]],
        UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","9108"]],
        AXIS["Lat",NORTH],
        AXIS["Long",EAST],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","4269"]],

Using "my" gdalinfo I obtain the classic empty string.
I guess this issue could be Proj4 related (although I'm not really sure
about this).
For this reason I surfed the mailing list and I downloaded the proj4
library, I set the PROJ_LIB linking the NAD folder and I added the DLL in
the path. (GDAL_DATA has been already set in the past)
Anyway, the result is the same: empty coordinate system returned. As a
parallel experiment, I also tried statically linking the library with the
same result.

Is there some additional operations which fwtools based gdalinfo performs?
I'm surely wrong somewhere :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Daniele Romagnoli