[gdal-dev] Linking MinGW app builds against VC++ built GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 12 14:24:07 EST 2008

Ari Jolma wrote:
> Frank,
>
> I'd like to try this, i.e., build the Perl bindings with MinGW against
> such DLL. But since I'm not willing to build GDAL DLL with VC++, I'd
> need to download them from someplace. Can I?

Ari,

Absolutely!  Just download:

   http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/setup.exe

run it, and install the "gdal" package.  This includes the stub
library (%OSGEO4W_HOME%\lib\gdal_i.lib) and include files
(%OSGEO4W_HOME%\include).  It should also produce a fairly solid
gdal-config script that can be run under MSYS and returns the proper
include paths and library link line if that is helpful.

It is my objective that OSGeo4W package will provide developer stuff
as well as end user stuff with the hope of making it easier to build
more layered packages.

If you are interested in packaging perl, and GDAL perl bindings I'd be
happy to help with details over on the osgeo4w-dev mailing list.