[gdal-dev] advice on feathering rasters together?

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Feb 19 20:04:02 EST 2008

Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on how to feather rasters together so there
is not an abrubt transition from one to the other?

The circumstance: I have 16bit integer raster (a DEM) with some areas in
it I want to fix (lakes which should be flat). I've created a second
raster with the desired replacement values (fixed_lakes). However if I
blindly just substitute fixed_lakes.tif for dem.tif there are some
pretty abrubt transitions which are sometimes worse than the original
problem.

I've done this before using Gimp and 8bit images but gimp can't load
16bit images without losing half the bits. (in layer pallet stack
fixed.tif over original.tif > transparency to selection for fixed layer
 > invert selection > expand X pixels > feather > flatten image; restore
spatial reference with gdalcopyproj.py)

thanks in advance for your thoughts,

--
matt wilkie