[gdal-dev] Failing to read a JPEG2000

Chris Eustace Chris.Eustace at petrosys.com.au
Tue Feb 26 01:43:19 EST 2008

Hi there.

I have built GDAL V1.4.4 using jasper-1.900.1.uuid so as to read
georeferenced JPEG2000 files. This has been done on Solaris, various
forms of Linux and Windows using various C++ compilers (g++ on *nix).

This has worked very well, except for one particular JP2 file. The
georeferencing information can be determined without a problem, but when
it comes to reading the ColorInterpretation for each of the three colour
bands in the file, I get an error in jpc_dec_decodepkts() (a JasPer low
level call).

This image can be successfully read and displayed by (some) other
packages (eg. GlobalMapper).

The image (38MB) can be found at:
ftp://ftp.petrosys.com.au/pub/support/data/aust_jp2.jp2

I am not sure whether it is a problem with GDAL or with JasPer. I did
try and update some of the GDAL code with the V1.5.0 GDAL jpeg2000 code,
but this did not help.

The built gdalinfo executable also returns the relevant georeference
information, but errors are seen when trying to determine the color
information.

Chris Eustace.
(Chris.Eustace at petrosys.com.au).