[gdal-dev] Difference of bin and bin_safe directories/ tools in FWTools (?)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 26 11:40:20 EST 2008

Nikos Alexandris wrote:
> I have a rather simple question for developers... I think.
>
> [Under Ubuntu 7.10, without gdal-bin installed from the ubuntu repo's]
>
> I cannot read kml files with ogrinfo (and use ogr2ogr) from within the
> FWTools/bin directory but I can do it from within FWTools/bin_safe   and
> from within OpenEV as well.
>
> What is the difference?

Nikos,

The bin_safe directory contains scripts which set various environment
variables before running the real executables in the bin directory.
The most important environment variable is LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the
correct shared libraries are found.

These bin_safe cover scripts accomplish the same effect as sourcing the
fwtools_env.sh script.