[gdal-dev] GDAL & Python

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Feb 26 12:44:11 EST 2008

marco.pasetti at alice.it wrote:
> Now I have the following error:
>
> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
> binaries.
> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
> installed,
> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.

Darn. If you have the energy, it would be great to file a feature
request for distutils -- it is so close, in that it now supports
mingw32, but why can't it give it a try when VS is not found?

Oh well.

> must I directly hack makefile? (hope not!)

Others would know better than me if there is a configure variable that
can get set with flags for distutils, but it may be easier to just run
the setup.py build line yourself. I'm not set up to test right now, but
it should be something like:

cd swig/python

C:/python25/python.exe setup.py -c mingw32 build

(you may need to run that at a regular DOS prompt, I can't seem to run
Windows python from msys)

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov