[gdal-dev] Meteosat 2nd Gen projection (MSG GEO)

Jose Luis Gomez Dans josegomez at gmx.net
Thu Feb 28 05:57:36 EST 2008

Hi Frank,

> What does the gdalinfo report on the input file look like?  I believe the
> problem is that GDAL does not even know the coordinates for the input file
> in the GEOS projection.  That is, it has no geotransform for the file.
> This
> isn't a projection problem so much as a basic georeferencing problem.
>
> The issue could be in the ENVI driver, or it could be that the data is
> not georeferenced at all.

You are absolutely right (as usual!). The file contains two bands, one with Latitude and one with Longitude values for each pixel's location. In a sense, it is a set of GCPs stuck in a raster. Since my data are referenced with respect to these pixels, I can then work out the Long/Lat values from here. i guess that thinking about it, what I would like to do is to shove my data into a raster like this (unreference) ENVI raster, and be able to project it into something else. So I could still extract the data from my reference ENVI raster into GCPs and use that work out the GeoTransform, and assign a projection to my rasters.

Since I have a GCP for each pixel, what would be the best way of dealing with this? Extracting gcp lines is not a problem, how can I tell gdal_translate to use a 2000x2000 (ish) list of GCPs?

Many thanks!
Jose