[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5.0 questions

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Jan 1 15:35:03 EST 2008

Roger Bivand wrote:
> Second on MSYS/MinGW building GDAL - up to and including 1.4.4, my
> installation of MSYS (1.0.10) just worked with ./configure, as
> suggested on:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildingWithMinGW
>
> But 1.5.0 does not build without editing libtool at line 6114 to sed
> out the MSYS-anchored absolute path and replace it by a relative path
> (or possibly a Windows drive-based absolute path. Once the lnkscript
> only has relative path names, make runs to completion, and the
> resulting binaries, used with the R bindings in the rgdal package,
> check through without error.
>
> I'd welcome any suggestions for reducing the size of the libraries,
> and if possible a fix to make path names in lnkscript relative (some
> are, but some are not).

Roger,

I'd add that MinGW users may need to deal with problems and should be
[1] prepared to apply fixes manually.

Also, if you know how to fix this issue, without breaking non-MinGW
configuration, I'd be thankful if you could submit [2] ticket and
attach patch.

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SupportedCompilers#UnsupportedCompilers

[2] http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki#BugTracking

Cheers