[gdal-dev] GeoTiff and CreateCopy(...)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 3 16:30:35 EST 2008

Jeff Beiko wrote:
> HI,
>

> I built GDAL from source. When I call CreateCopy(…) with the GTiff
> driver, it creates an image that is properly sized and geo-referenced,
> however, the image is all black.
>
> I tried the same operation using the DLLs and include files from
> FWTools, and it works properly and my image is coloured properly. I
> noticed in FWTools that the geotiff and libtiff files are present. Do I
> need to compile GDAL with external geotiff and libtiff support for the
> CreateCopy() to work properly?

Jeff,

No, you should not need to use an external libtiff.  The internal version
should be sufficient.  You might want to try duplicating the issue with
the "official" GDAL Win32 builds at:

   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.5/

If the problem occurs with that, you can file a detailed bug report,
including a tiffinfo and gdalinfo report on the source file.  If the
problem doesn't happen with the official build, then I suspect some details
of your build process are impacting things.