[gdal-dev] GDAL / Python and PPC

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Sat Jan 5 15:54:20 EST 2008

Hi all-

   over the winter break, I decided I would get into the Python swing of
things.. I loaded numpy into my OS X Framework Python 2.5.1. The
problem was, numpy wanted to build both i386 and PPC architectures. I
jiggled and rattled - I honestly dont remember exactly, and built just
the PPC architecture. This is OS 10.4.10. All the tests run fine, and
import numpy is happy in the interactive shell.

* I have numpy in python. * import numpy works fine without any GDAL
anything ***

   Now, moving to GDAL, I configured --with-python, and make. The build
gets to SWIG, which gets to Python, which sees Numpy, and.. issues the
commands in a striking yellow text to build both PPC and i386 arch.
This fails, and the make comes to a halt. Oh yes, it is in the make
install, actually. Make itself succeeds.

UPDATE: I just reinstalled (after a full backup) the OSX Dev System for
10.3 and 10.4 Universal. then built GDAL. Same result, on install,
python bindings hit numpy, then try to build numpy and fail to link on
i386 everything. I went into setup.py and added extra_compile_args = [
'-g', '-arch', 'ppc' ]
that appears in the build output, but a line later than the fatal C
compiler: 'osgeo.gdal' -arch ppc -arch i386

no python...

   -Brian