[gdal-dev] viewing data

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Wed Jan 9 15:14:10 EST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008, at 11:34 AM, LeRetha Childress wrote:

> I’m new to using GDAL and I was just wondering if anyone can help me
> out.
>
> Is there a GDAL utility that will let you create a text file of the
> data that you can then open and view in say MSWord or Notepad?

Are you talking about Vectors ? (the alternative makes little sense..)

First advice - avoid Word and Notepad. If you are at all serious about
doing this project, get yourself a decent text editor that will a)
handle large files, and b) not harm the data unintentionally.

There is a format called Well known Text (WKT) that is a standard, and
is more or less human readable. There are many ways to convert a given
file to WKT.  Also, CSV is useful for Excel.. Excel is a pretty good
choice for modest needs.

Lastly: depending on what your goals are and what resources you have,
you may need someone to help you a lot. If this is the case, consider
hiring someone who is knowledgeable with Open Source Tools to get you
started. This could save untold hours and headache.

   -Brian