[Gdal-dev] JP2MrSID driver. How to get it?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 10 11:45:14 EST 2008

Daniele Romagnoli wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on LINUX (Ubuntu) to fix some things on ImageIo-ext project.
> I have read some olds threads talking about conflicts between Kakadu and
> MrSID's Jpeg2000 support.
> I'm using GDAL 1.4.2 with MrSid (GeoExpress Decode SDK 6.0.7.1407) and
> Kakadu 5.2.6.
>
> When building GDAL after configuring it for MrSid and Kakadu, I get only
> JP2KAK and MrSID (using GDALInfo --formats).
> I then attempted to edit GDALMake.opt after ./configure, adding
> MRSID_FLAGS =   -DMRSID_J2K and I get errors when building.
> However I have noticed that when configuring with support for only
> MrSID, JP2MrSID appears in the list of supported formats (So, manually
> setting MRSID_FLAGS is not required :P)
>
> It is possible to support both JP2KAK and JP2MRSID driver on Linux?
> Thanks a lot.

Daniele,

I see MRSID_J2K is deliberately excluded by configure if Kakadu is being
built in.  I don't recall all the details, but the MrSID libraries include
a variant of Kakadu as I understand resulting in (apparently) various kinds
of symbol conflict problems.

When MRSID_J2K is defined, -lltikdu is also added to the link libraries.  If
you added this you could likely at least experiement with having both enabled
at the same time.