[gdal-dev] GeoTiff writing with Java Bindings (signed data types)

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 08:57:32 EST 2008

Hi again Stefan,
I have received your code and I will take a look on it.
Anyway, I suggest to create a view of your ByteBuffer as an IntBuffer and
then set data as Int.

PS: We are working on an ImageIO-Ext project which provides a set of format
readers/writers extending the Sun's Java ImageIO framework. This also
contains a GeoTiff plugin (reader/writer) leveraging on GDAL. Actually I'm
working on the writer capabilities (by supporting sourceRegions,
subSampling, destination, destinationOffset settings and metadata
settings,...). In case you are interested on it, you may find the project
here: https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/ and get the code from subversion
As I have pointed out some days ago, actually, the homepage requires a real
improvement since it is in a very preliminar version (I have written some
rows just for introduction... 50 seconds of work :) ). We (GeoSolutions)
will improve it very soon.

PPS: while writing this email, I have noticed the reply of Benjamin
Collins... Sorry for posting the same advice.

Best Regards,
Daniele

On Jan 11, 2008 11:01 AM, <St.Mietke at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi list members,
>
> I tried to create a geotiff with the GDAL library (using Java), but it
> seems, that only unsigned-Byte writing is possible.
>
> public int WriteRaster_Direct(int xoff, int yoff, int xsize, int ysize,
> int buf_xsize, int buf_ysize, int buf_type, java.nio.ByteBuffer buf)
>
> I need a signed integer coverage.
>
> Can anyone tell me, if there is any possibility to create such a geotiff
> coverage with unsigned data types?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Stefan Mietke
> --
> Institute for Cartography
> TU Dresden
>
> GMX FreeMail: 1 GB Postfach, 5 E-Mail-Adressen, 10 Free SMS.
> Alle Infos und kostenlose Anmeldung: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/freemail

Eng. Daniele Romagnoli
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.