[gdal-dev] Question about using Python API to GDAL/OGR in a "production" environment

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 12:53:53 EST 2008

I've been using the GDAL and OGR modules in Python scripts for a little
while now to automate a variety of tasks at work.  It's worked very well,
and I would now like to use it in conjunction with Apache and FastCGI to
create some web services that read a variety of different data sources and
serve up KML and custom data strings that feed web-based map API's.
However, I've been strongly cautioned not to do this, as I'm told that GDAL
isn't "thread safe", and that I would need to write some sort of "connection
manager" to manage "things".  This intrigues me, and in no way dissuades me
from trying my idea out, but I'm curious if some of you have used GDAL/OGR
in a similar fashion in a "production" environment?  (Just exactly what
constitutes a 'production', or 'Enterprise' system is also a topic of some
interest to me.)  My use would strictly be "read-only", and using the Python
API.

Any feedback or suggestions of things to keep in mind would be greatly
appreciated.

Roger