[gdal-dev] [ogr2ogr] Date mapping

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 18 13:38:48 EST 2008

Andrew T. Louis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a shape file containing a “Date” format property. When using the
> ogr2ogr tool, to convert this shape file to GML, the date property
> doesn’t get generated in the GML schema. But the GML file containing the
> instances has the right values
> Anyone else has this issue?

Andrew,

Many drivers, including the GML driver, have no explicit support for the
DATE time either because the format does not support it or because the
driver implementor didn't bother/know to do something about this.  In
such cases the attribute is normally treated as a string.  This is what
is happening with the GML driver.

In theory this could be improved in the GML driver, though in practice
I worry about breaking the fragile GML driver for limited benefit.
Nevertheless, if you feel strongly about this, feel free to prepare a
patch that adds date support to the gml driver.  (It should be submitted
via Trac).