[gdal-dev] gdal_merge output JPG unable to write

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Jan 22 10:19:42 EST 2008

Basker,

You might also want to look at  http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html.  The
last column lists the Maximum file size.  If you are merging multiple 2 GB
files, you will hit the 4 GiB limit for the standard JPEG format  fairly
quickly.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

             Frank Warmerdam
             <warmerdam at pobox.
             Sent by:                  SriRam Prasad Bhasker
             gdal-dev-bounces@         <SriRam.PrasadBhasker at rmsi.com>
             lists.osgeo.org                                            cc
                                       gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org
                                                                   Subject
             01/22/2008 09:53          Re: [gdal-dev] gdal_merge output
             AM                        JPG unable to write

SriRam Prasad Bhasker wrote:

> Hi
>
> Gdal_Merge is not supporting JPEG Driver for Writing..
>
> can anyone one know list of valid output drivers for Gdal_merge
>
> I have 2.0 Gb sized Jpeg Files (150 odd..)need to merge them into one
> Mosaiced Jpeg File.

Bhasker,

If you do "gdal_merge.py --formats" it will list all the formats supported
by the current build.  All those with "rw+" in brackets afterwards are
suitable output formats.  If they have "ro" then the format is read only.
If they have "rw" then the format supports writing, but only in "copy in
a single pass from another dataset" mode which is insufficient for
gdal_merge.py which needs to write the output in somewhat random chunks.

Note that you can merge into a mosaic in a format like Erdas Imagine or
BigTIFF (if you are using a new enough build) and then gdal_translate that
to JPEG.  I would however stress that JPEG is a poorly performing format
for large geospatial datasets that you want to access randomly in a
desktop viewer or web mapping situation for instance.

warmerdam at pobox.com