[gdal-dev] netcdf to geotiff and aaigrid

Jeff Van Dorn vandorn at atmosresearch.com
Tue Jan 22 17:01:49 EST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Joaquim Luis wrote:

>> I don't know if this could be related to what Joaquim said, in
>> that the appearing upside-down is a known issue with the netCDF
>> driver.  So, yours truly was not upside down?  A gif image of the
>> data is here: http://temagami.tosm.ttu.edu/~jvandorn/gdal/
>> NE_1961-1990_Yearly_Max_Temp.gif
>
> Jeff,
>
> Those are two different issues. Probably the yll error is related
> with this bug (fixed now)
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1794#comment:6
> I'm using the svn version and the header is correct.

Joaquim,

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, assuming (which I know is bad)
that what your code from SVN is equal to the SVN code I can get from
the web: gdal-svn-trunk-2008.01.22.tar.gz, I still don't get the
proper header info, as I was still getting 28.0 instead of the
expected 38.0 for yll.  However, from this post from awhile back
(http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-December/
011202.html), it seems like someone else was having the same issues I
was (wrong yll and inverted netCDF file), and made some changes to /
frmts/aaigrid/aaigriddataset.cpp, and after I did the same, I'm now
seeing the proper yll and the image is no longer inverted.  Nice. :)

> Also, I could open your converted files in Mirone with no
> problem ... except from the fact that they are upside-down

Thanks so much for mentioning Mirone, as I too can successfully open
my GeoTiffs using that, so all would appear well for me now. It
likely shows, but I'm new to GeoTiffs, so have much to learn.

Thanks for all the help.
Jeff