[gdal-dev] Error Opening Some .shp Files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 25 16:36:21 EST 2008

Chris Howell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting an error with the OGR driver when attempting to open some
> shape files. The ogr process
>
> OGRSFDriverRegistrar::Open(string)
>
> Method is crashing the C++ runtime. Upon further review with FWTools
> ogrinfo can't even open the shape file. I tried trapping the error with
> a catch all (...) however still seemed to happen. Any thoughts would be
> appreciated. I can accept that the shape file(s) may be no good however,
> crashing isn't an option for me.

Chris,

It would be helpful if you could file a ticket in trac on this issue, and
provide a pointer to the file that is causing the problem.   The intent is
that a corrupt file should cause a error to be issued which in C# should
be translated to an exception.  If it is crashing then there is bug that
needs to be fixed, but it is almost certain we need the dataset to fix it.

You can provide it to me privately for only this purpose if the data is
priveledged.