[gdal-dev] GDAL Java bindings, compiled for Windows

Daniele Romagnoli dany.geotools at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 04:19:33 EST 2008

Hello Armin,
I dont know if a version of GDAL containing ready to use Java bindings (DLL)
exists.
I guess you should compile them by yourself using SWIG (proper makefile to
build Java bindings are already contained in GDAL).
Anyway, I'm working on a project which deeply leverages on JAVA bindings for
GDAL 1.4.4.
The project is available here:  https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/

The homepage contains a link to a setup guide which illustrates,
step-by-step, how to setup all the required elements (Hence, the GDAL Java
bindings generation too).
You can take a look on that document. (LINK:
https://imageio-ext.dev.java.net/svn/imageio-ext/trunk/documentation/ImageioExt-SetupGuide.pdf
)
It is actually on SVN: when asked for identification, you can set "guest" as
user with no password.
If you are not interested in some topics (such as kakadu, ecw, mrsid) you
can just skip those sections as well as the patch topic.
Note that it is not a definitive guide so it may be slightly changed in the
future (since I'm working on some maven procedures tunings).

You will notice that building GDAL and JAVA bindings is not a really hard
task.
However, if you encounter some problems, I can build a basic GDAL (without
external libraries) as well as Java bindings for you.
I can start the building in background.
Let me know.

Best Regards,
Daniele

On Jan 29, 2008 10:51 PM, Armin Burger <armin.burger at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> does anybody know if there is somewhere a compiled version (for Windows)
> of GDAL including Java bindings available that could be used for
> extracting basic information from various types of image formats
> (extent, projection, bands, etc)? An older version like 1.3 would be
> fully sufficient.
>
> Before just calling the gdalinfo executable and parsing the output with
> Java I would like to be sure there are no other alternatives currently
> available.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Armin

Eng. Daniele Romagnoli