[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL & WMS

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Jul 1 04:37:33 EDT 2008

Courtney Schitka <c.schitka <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone noticed a huge performance issue with GDAL and WMS lately ? I've
noticed a HUGE problems using the NASA JPL servers lately as in I can't seem to
get data from them or anything. GDAL hasn't been rebuilt recompiled and the
client code I am using hasn't changed at all either. CheersCourtney

Hi,

I guess that the reason is told on the front page at http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/

ATTENTION:

Due to server overloading, client applications are strongly advised to use the
existing tile datasets wherever possible, as described in the Tiled WMS or
Google Earth KML support

Frequent and repetitive requests for non-cached, small WMS tiles require an
excessive amount of server resources and will be blocked in order to preserve
server functionality. The OnEarth server is an experimental technology
demonstrator and does not have enough resources to support these requests.
An alternative solution already exists in the form of tiled WMS
While sets of tiles with different sizes and alignment can be added when needed,
for large datasets the duplication of storage, processing and data management
resources is prohibitive.

-Jukka Rahkonen-