[gdal-dev] The proj.dll mistery

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Tue Jul 1 09:44:23 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Andrew Brooks wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:55:28 +0100, Martin Chapman
>> <mchapman at texelinc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I apologize that VantagePoint caused a problem for you.  We will
>>> make the
>>> fix to the install and get the proj.dll out of the system32 directory.
>>
>> There's nothing wrong with installing a shared library into a shared
>> directory.  But it's unforgivable to replace an existing shared library
>> with an older version!  Is it difficult to check version numbers?

Andrew,
I didn't say that VantagePoint  replaced an existing newer proj.dll
It was enough to put it's own on \windows\system32 to make it have
precedence over the existing one that sits right to the side of the gdal.dll

> For FWTools my approach was actually to build most of the DLLs I *can*
> build myself, and to append _fw in the dll name to avoid conflicts.

Frank,

Excuse me for my ignorance, but do you do than to tell the programs to
use the proj_fw.dll instead of any proj.dll that may be trailing around?

Thanks
Joaquim