[gdal-dev] RV: RGB Tiled - non Tiled Images

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 2 07:18:13 EDT 2008

Mendizabal Vicente, Ainhoa wrote:
> But I could not view properly the resulting image.
>

> Looking for the original problem I’ve tried simply to transform a RGB
> non-tiled Image to tiled, and then I’ve made it non-tiled again:
>

> gdal_transform –co ‘tiled=yes’    Original.tif         Tiled.tif
>
> gdal_transform –co ‘tiled=no’      Tiled.tif             Result.tif
>

> but, I can’t view properly the Image Result.tif. ¿What I’ve made wrong?

Ainhoa,

What version of GDAL are you using?  (try gdalinfo --version to find out).

What software are you using for viewing?  Do you get any specific errors?

Generally speaking there are many crappy TIFF viewers in this world, so it
is possible that the viewer you are using does not support something in the
produced files from GDAL.  I *suspect* you are getting "band interleaved"
TIFF files from GDAL which are not so widely supported.  If this is the case
using -co INTERLEAVE=PIXEL in the translations might help.  However, GDAL 1.5
and newer products pixel interleaved files by default.