[gdal-dev] EXIF geotagging with GDAL?

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:15:32 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing to ask if anyone has used the GDAL library in conjunction with
something else (PIL probably) to create geotagged images?

I'd like to write a simple app that takes a placename and an image filename,
does a quick geocoding using the Google Maps geocoder, and then writes the
lat/lon into the image header.  I haven't found a good reference yet that
describes what the EXIF header info should look like, but I see that
gdalinfo reports EXIF info when run on an image with tags in it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Roger