[gdal-dev] Process many DEM's into 1

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Jul 8 16:44:27 EDT 2008

Hi Courtney, Oliver,

 > I would try to do:
 >
 > gdalwarp <file1> <file2> ... <outputfile>

Depending on the source data, this may not handle overlap between tiles
very well. For the canadian CDED dems from geobase.ca I had to use the
src and dstnodata options:

   gdalwarp -srcnodata -32767 -dstnodata -32767 ...etc

It can also speed up things dramatically to use the -wm and -multi
options (working memory and multithreaded).

Some scripts I used are at
http://sydney.freeearthfoundation.com/mattwilkie/draft/canada_50k_dem/scripts/

(Unlike the script there, don't use "-co compress=lzw" though! it will
make your images larger than if no compression is used.
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/GdalWarp#a-coCOMPRESSisbroken )

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geographic Information,