[gdal-dev] Annotations in Personal GeoDatabases

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jul 11 09:59:08 EDT 2008

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Frank,
>
> The driver docs at http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_pgeo.html do not make any
> mention of support (or not) of annotations in ESRI Personal
> GeoDatabases. Are annotations supported at all? Ar they simply returned
> as points with a text/angle attribute? Would it be possible to add
> support for returning OGR style strings for annotations (i.e. do we have
> a way to get to the information)?

Daniel,

There is no special support for annotations as far as I know, and I'm not
even sure how they are handled now.  Without ArcGIS it is often difficult
for me to know what the stuff in a personal geodatabase actually is supposed
to look like.

It might be possible to return annotations with style strings, but it
would take some investigation to even establish if it is possible.  The
investigation would be the bulk of the work to actually implement it.