[gdal-dev] Oracle Connection issues

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Thu Jul 17 10:58:12 EDT 2008

Two questions and one lesson learned passed on

1. I built an application using GDAL 1.5.2 and Oracle 9.2 client tools.
Everything works fine on my development system.  When I take the
application to the customer system I can not connect to the Oracle
database and I am not getting an error that explains why.  The target
system does have Oracle 10.2 client tools installed.  Do versions have a
match between the development system and the target system to work with
Oracle?  And if so what patch level in the version do we have to match?
For example, there are 4 digits in the Oracle version number.  Do all 4
digits have to be the same as what is compiled into GDAL for GDAL to be
able to connect?

2. There seems to be a long pause when I connect to Oracle.  I used the
debugger to follow the process and it looks like an internal structure
is created in GDAL memory space that contains information about all of
the tables in Oracle including the field names and data types.  We have
a database with several tables so this takes a while to build.  Is there
a way to get GDAL to do a quick connect without building this structure
every time I connect?

Lesson learned.

It seems that Microsoft has removed normal C++ support form the
operating system and starting with programs built with Visual Studio
2005 a separate redistributable patch (link shown below) has to be
applied to the operating system to add the libraries required to run C++
based applications.  This also applies to C# applications that call DLLs
such as GDAL.  The error message that you will see will not be very
helpful but may include a mention of "side-by-side".  More typically it
will just say the application can not run and reinstallation may help.
Additionally, debug versions of the program will not run on a computer
that does not have Visual Studio and the Microsoft rules state that
debug versions of their libraries can not be distributed.  This of
course really puts those of us who have to do a lot of rapid prototyping
and quick release of tools in a bind.  Yes I realize this only adds to
the normal reluctance to use Microsoft stuff.

Patch download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4
C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

So the lesson learned: build GDAL and all of it's dependent libraries in
release mode before trying to move off of the development system.

Bruce