[gdal-dev] Guidance sought on using gdal-translate

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 29 19:07:11 EDT 2008

Christopher Hunt wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for the reply and for the confirmation that I'm on the right track.
>
> Dumb newbie question: wouldn't most aerial photos taken, say, from
> 12,000ft be ortho in their projection?

Christopher,

I don't think that is a good assumption at all.  And if you were going to
go with that assumption it seems to me you would want the projection center
to be in the photo center.

But then, I'm in the habit of treating projections as black boxes, and I
seldom try to physically interprete their characteristics.