[gdal-dev] How can I generate an empty geotiff based on the extent of the shape file?

Dane Springmeyer blake at hailmail.net
Thu Jul 31 15:11:28 EDT 2008

Hi John,

If you can't use use gdal_translate to flatten an existing raster you
can try creating one from scratch using one of the supported language
bindings.

The python bindings work particularly well for this since you can hook
into numpy.

See: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQRaster#HowcanIcreateablankrasterbasedonavectorfilesextentsforusewithgdal_rasterize

Cheers,

Dane