[gdal-dev] ORFEO Toolbox (OTB) 2.2 available

Jordi Inglada jordi.inglada at cnes.fr
Thu Jun 5 03:05:09 EDT 2008

Dear all,

We are proud to announce the availability of OTB-2.2.0.

ORFEO Toolbox (OTB) is CNES' open source library of image processing
algorithms. OTB is based on the medical image processing library ITK and
offers particular features for remote sensing image processing in
general and for high spatial resolution images in particular. OTB is
distributed under a free software licence CeCILL (similar to GPL) to
encourage contribution from users and to promote reproducible research.

You can go to <http://otb.cnes.fr> and follow the download link there.

In terms of applications, we are now shipping supervised classification
tools using SVM and Self Organising Maps. This tools can work with huge
images having up to 100 bands. We have also modified the Interactive
Change Detection application so it can be used with huge images. This
application can be now used in operational environments.

At the library level, we have integrated among other:
- the SIFT algorithm,
- the sensor models for ERS, Envisat ASAR, Radarsat (1&2), TerraSAR-X
and, of course Cosmo Skymed. Some of these models need further
validation when data will be available,
- import and export of vector data (only Shapefile format is supported
now, KML will come soon)
- geodesic morphology and morphological profiles.

The detailed documentation can be downloaded also from
<http://otb.cnes.fr>. The PDF file is 596 pages
long, so think twice before printing it (then, choose not to print it).

Do not hesitate to use the users' list
<http://groups.google.com/group/otb-users> if you need support, or
contact us directly at <otb at cnes.fr>.

The Orfeo Toolbox live CD updated with the OTB 2.2.0 is also available
for download at http://www.melaneum.com/OTB/otblive/ .

Additionally to the OS (based on Xubuntu 8.04), this CD contains:
- sources and binary of the Orfeo Toolbox library
- Orfeo Toolbox applications (viewer, change detection, road
extraction...)
- full documentation (Software Guide and doxygen API)
- a step-by-step guide to start with OTB.

Enjoy OTB!

Jordi Inglada, for the OTB Development Team.
--
CNES - DCT/SI/AP - BPI 1219
18, avenue Edouard Belin