[gdal-dev] Re: NITF JPEG2000 read support?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 6 16:06:27 EDT 2008

Sven Geggus wrote:
> Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:
>
>> Gdal included in FWTools has jpeg2000 support through Kakadu (JP2KAK).
>
> As I would need to build my own gdal from source (Linux/AMD64). Wehre
> did you get the Kakadu library from. Do you have a licence?

Sven,

You would need a license for the Kakadu library though there is a
reasonably priced option for personal use.

> Can you confirm, that gdalinfo works with an nsif file containing a
> j2k image?

I have confirmed I can access an NITF file with JPEG2000 imagery using
either the JP2KAK (Kakadu) driver, or the JP2ECW (ECW SDK) driver.  I
think it should also work with the JP2MrSID driver though I don't have
that handy for testing.  I believe it does not work with the JasPer
based "JPEG2000" driver.