[gdal-dev] RE: GDAL JPEG2000 Problems

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 19 11:30:59 EDT 2008

Bob Bruce wrote:
> I was having some problems with output JP2 images from GDAL and noticed that
> my version of FWTools was a bit old so today I downloaded and installed the
> latest version of FWTools. Immediately I noticed that the only JPEG2000
> output format left is the ECW one. What happened to the Kakadu and the
> JasPer formats that were previously in GDAL?

Bob,

I don't think I've ever distributed FWTools for windows with the JasPer
driver enabled.  I removed the Kakadu driver because after a review of the
Kakadu license terms I came to the conclusion that I might not be properly
operating within the limits of the license in distributing it as part of
FWTools.

FWTools *should* include the JP2MrSID driver as well, but I see that it is
normally read-only.

 > I understand that ECW has a
> conversion limit and this will be a concern for me as I try and make mosaics
> of blocks of photography.
>
> So I went on to use the ECW JPEG2000 and ran into problems. I converted one
> of our 73Mb colour orthophotos (GeoTiff - we have 744 of them from our
> latest contract) to ECW JP2 and immediately noticed problems. In the output
> ECWJP2 file the entire 135m bottom of the image was replaced by bands of
> data 255m wide X 135m high that was taken 135m from the right side and 135
> up from the bottom. The entire right 135m of the image is replaced with a
> band taken starting 2X135m from the right and a further 135m to the right.
> The original GeoTiff appeared fine when viewed in QGIS, gvSIG and some
> proprietary GIS packages. QGIS showed these bands of data along the bottom
> and along the right side of the image.

This is an unexpected result. I'd offer to look more deeply into it, but
the ECW code is just a bear to work with, and on windows I'm using a fairly
old set of ECW code (and with some questionable hacking of my own involved).
I'm afraid of it!

I'm really not too sure where to go with this.