[gdal-dev] GDAL & WMS

Adam Nowacki nowak at xpam.de
Wed Jun 25 18:18:48 EDT 2008

Baumann, Konstantin wrote:
>    1. I would like to use the GDAL WMS driver. But without doing a
>       GetCapabilities request out of the box and with the need of
>       creating a special XML file for each server, the driver seems to
>       be a little bit useless to me (from an end user's point of view).
>       Is there somewhere the GetCapabilities-script mentioned here:
>       http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SoCWMSDriver? Where do I get the
>       needed <SizeX> and <SizeY> values from? The GetCapabilities
>       request of a WMS does not return these values...

Exactly, GetCapabilities doesnt provide all the required values and they
are quite hard to guess without human help. Set SizeX and SizeY based on
expected data resolution.

>    2. I have tried to use the first WMS-XML-file from here:
>       http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html, to access a WMS server; however
>       the GDALOpen()-call fails (returns NULL). The WMS driver is
>       available (verified with "gdalinfo --formats"). Are there any
>       requirements to the filename used for the XML filename (I used
>       "D:\wms-test.xml" and inside of my C++-code "D:\\wms-test.xml")?

Run gdalinfo D:\wms-test.xml, if it works its a problem with your code
(are you calling GDALAllRegister, linking with the correct gdal dll,
etc). If it doesnt it should at least print some error messages ...