[gdal-dev] gdalwarp - source srs definition

Volker Wichmann Volker.Wichmann at uibk.ac.at
Fri Jun 27 15:46:04 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Volker Wichmann wrote:
> ..,
>> I do not define -s_srs, as I suspect it is read from the input files
>> when I look in the gdalwarp code. The strange thing is now, that
>> gdalwarp sometimes reports
>> ERROR 1: Failed to import coordinate system `'.
>> on some of the rasters and thus does not write the projection info to
>> the output file. When I run gdalinfo on each input file, everything
>> is reported correctly.
>> Has anybody encountered this too and could give me some hints?
>
> Volker,
>
> This sounds like some subtle kind of bug.  If you can isolate one
> particular
> file that demonstrates is it might be appropriate to file a bug on the
> problem.  You can just provide the portion of the ascii grid file up to
> the start of the raster values.
Frank,

while building a test case for a bug report I was working on a machine
where GDAL 1.5.1 is installed - and encountered no problems. The problem
seems to be solved in this version, although I'm not sure about what
makes the difference when looking at the changes history since GDAL 1.4.3.0.
Trying the test case again with GDAL 1.4.3.0 reproduces the error.
I'm not sure if it's appropriate to file a bug report?

Anyway, we're planning to upgrade all our GDAL versions soon. Doing so
would be really facilitated if there would be some 'make dist clean'
available for GDAL - so this is somewhat a feature request ;-)
Or is it save to just remove the old sources and build the new ones?

Thanks,
Volker